Description 10 most common poisonous houseplants, which are a threat to health and life. The symptoms of poisoning. Fresh flowers are the best decoration of houses and apartments, will agree with most of us. Houseplants can liven up the interior, giving it the uniqueness, the care calms nerves, and some kinds of flowers benefit, purifying the air. But hardly anyone knows that many houseplants are dangerous for health and even the lives of people and animals.
The most popular and common plants that adorn our homes and at the same time are a threat because of the toxic substances include, in particular, cyclamen, ivy and dieffenbachia.
1. Dieffenbachia — is a tropical plant of South America. In our climate suitable for growing in pots. In the juice of the stems contains the so called rafidi — sharp crystals of calcium oxalate. These crystals cause intense burning in the mouth and throat, in addition to pain may burn of the gastrointestinal tract. Dieffenbachia may also cause temporary paralysis of the vocal cords to prevent such consequences, you should keep the flower in the reach of small children and animals.
2. Persianization grows wild in the mountains of Europe, Western Asia and Northern Africa. Its long flowering in pots is very popular as an ornamental plant. Ingestion of cyclamen does not cause death, however, may have very unpleasant consequences. Contained in the leaves and flowers of the plant are toxic substances may cause nausea, headache and diarrhea.
3. Ivy. All parts of the plant, including the fruit, are dangerous to health. The reason is the presence of a saponin which is irritant to skin and mucous membranes of the eyes, after taking the plants inside are the likelihood of diarrhoea. There are also known cases of respiratory arrest, hallucinations, allergic.
4. Lily (longiflorum) is often used for bouquets. However, it should be noted that this flower should be performed with extreme caution. This plant contains many toxic alkaloids. However, the inhalation of the scent of lilies is not a threat. However, we should protect flowers from domestic animals, for which the plant can be deadly. Lily poisoning in humans causes abdominal pain and dizziness.
5. Beautiful Euphorbia (or poinsettia plant is beautiful) also known as star of Bethlehem.
7. Anthurium. Juice of the plant contains harmful crystals of calcium oxalate. In contact with skin they cause irritation. After swallowing a toxic substance causes swelling of the lips, tongue and larynx. Ingestion may provoke arrhythmia, and eye contact may cause conjunctivitis. To avoid trouble, taking care of the plant, do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth, and after the procedure must be carefully wash hands with warm water and soap.
8. Cleve cinnabar African plant, containing large amounts of harmful alkaloids, which are extremely dangerous for Pets. Symptoms of poisoning are severe salivation, coughing and vomiting. Consumption in large quantities causes instant death.
9. Oleander ordinary attracts beautiful flowers and incredibly sweet scent. However, if you have small children, be sure to avoid cultivation of this shrub. The consumption of even small leaf can be fatal because the toxicity of oleander is very strong. Food poisoning causes loss of sensitivity in the mouth, vomiting, dilated pupils and impaired cardiac activity.
10. Datura, which because of its pretty flowers often grown as an ornamental plant, can not get to the list of toxic flowers. The basic substances corresponding to their toxicity, it is L-hyoscyamine and L-scopolamine. One of the effects of plant fragments can be strong hallucinations and convulsions. In addition, the Datura poisoning can cause paralysis of the respiratory center, which, of course, will lead to death